1 1/2 litres water
1 1/2 cups sugar
1 cup milk
1 tbsp. almonds
1 tbsp. kharbooj/tarbooj seeds skinned (commercially available)
(these are skinned dried seeds of watermelon and cantaloupes)
1/2 tbsp. khuskhus (poppy seeds)
1/2 tbsp. saunf (aniseed)
1/2 tsp. cardamom powder or 15 whole pods
1/2 tsp. rose water (optional)
1 tsp. peppercorns whole
1/4 cup dried or fresh rose petals (gulkand variety)
Soak sugar in 1/2 litre of the water used. Keep aside.Wash clean all other dry ingredients, except cardamom if using powder.Soak in 2 cups of remaining water. Keep aside.Allow all soaked items to stand for at least 2 hours.Grind all soaked ingredients to a very fine paste.(not sugar) Use a stone grinder (manual or electric) if possible.When the paste is very fine, mix remaining water.Place a strong muslin strainer over a large deep vessel or tie a strong muslin cloth over rim of vessel and use to strain. Press through muslin with back of hands, extracting the liquid into vessel.Add remaining water, a little at a time to extract more.Pour back some of the extract and press, repress.Repeat this process till the residue becomes dry and husklike.Add milk, sugar and rosewater to the extracted liquid.If using cardamom powder mix it in with the milk. Mix well.Chill for a hour of two before serving.
2 large Potatoes
Ghee / oil for frying
1/4tsp cayenne powder
1tsp. ground coriander
1/2tsp. ground cumin
1/2tsp. dry mango powder (amchur) or chaat powder
Peel the potatoes and cut into fine matchsticks. Soak in cold water for at least 1 hour, changing the water twice. Drain and pat dry on a paper towel.
*Heat the oil / ghee in a kadhai / deep frying pan over a moderate heat.
*Add a handful of potatoes and stir to prevent them sticking together.
*Fry the remaining batches in the same manner.
*place the salt and all spices in a bowl, mix together, and sprinkle on the hot potatoes.
*Keep in an airtight containers for up to week.
* 1 cups Maida (unbleached flour)
* 1cup semolina (Sooji / Rava)
* 41/2-51/2 tbsp luke warm water
* 2tbsp. curd / plain yogurt (beaten)
* 3 tbsp. ghee / unsalted butter (melted)
* 1tsp. Ajwain
* 3/4th tsp. Salt or to taste
* Oil / Ghee to deep fry
* Mix the flour, salt , ajwain in a bowl. Add the melted ghee / unsalted and rub between your palms until it takes the form of breadcrumbs.
* Combine the curd with water and and form a stiff dough using this liquid. Cover with the damp cloth and set aside for 30 minutes.
* Shape the dough into a ball and roll the ball into a ¼ inch thick circle. Cut into thin long strips and then into squares.
* Heat the ghee / oil in a kadhai or deep-frying pan. Fry the squares in a batch over moderate heat. Do not allow the them to become brown, they should remain pale gold in color.
* Remove and drain on paper towels. Repeat the process for frying all squares.
* Well sealed, they will keep for 2-3 weeks.
You may also access this article through our web-site http://www.lokvani.com/