Ingredients (240 ml cup used)
1.5 cups rice
1 cup lightly measured mint / pudina
Fistful of coriander leaves (optional)
2 to 3 green chilies
1 inch ginger
3 to 4 small pods or 1 to 2 large pods of garlic
1 large onion or ¼ cup chopped coconut pieces
Salt as needed
Oil or ghee as needed
2.5 cups water (adjust to suit your rice variety)
1 to 2 tbsp. lemon juice(optional)
1 bay leaf
1 star anise
1 strand mace
½ tsp shahi jeera or cumin
2 inch cinnamon stick
3 to 4 green cardamoms
- Wash rice and soak it for about 15 minutes. Pluck and wash mint and coriander leaves, drain them completely
- Grind mint, coriander, green chilies, ginger garlic, onion or chopped coconut to as smooth as possible without adding water.
- Heat a pan with oil, add the dry spices and saute till they sizzle.
- Add the ground paste and fry on a medium to low flame for about 2 to 3 minutes.
- Pour water and salt. Bring it to a boil. Add washed rice and cook in your preferred way.
- Pressure cooker: Cook the rice till the water almost evaporates. When there is very little water left in the cooker, close the lid. Cook it for about 5 minutes on a low flame and switch off. Do not allow to whistle. If making with normal rice, let it whistle once.
- Open pan method: cook the rice till very little water is left in the pot. Cover and cook on low flame till the rice is cooked.
- When the pressure goes away, open the lid and mix well. You will see a layer of the min mixture on top, Add lemon juice evenly and mix it gently .
- Serve mint pulao with a simple onion raita or a potato kurma.
Zucchini, Mint and Yogurt Spread
serves 4 as an appetizer
1 large zucchini, sliced lengthwise and cut into 1-inch half-moons
2 tablespoons olive oil
1/2 cup Greek yogurt or labneh
2 tablespoons mint, roughly chopped
zest of 1 lemon
salt and pepper
green olives for garnish (optional)
Heat oil in a skillet over medium-high heat. Sprinkle zucchini slices with salt and pepper and add to the pan. Cook for about 5 minutes, turning once, until both sides are nicely browned. Remove from heat.
Once zucchini have cooled to room temperature, place in a food processor. Add mint and lemon zest (reserving a bit of both for garnish), a pinch of salt, pepper and yogurt. Pulse until pureed.
Spread dip onto a serving plate, drizzle with remaining olive oil and sprinkle with reserved mint and lemon zest. Add olives if desired.
Serve with pita wedges or sliced vegetables.