Once again, The Washington Post has published the winning submissions to its yearly Neologism contest, in which readers are asked to supply alternate meanings for common words.
The winners are:
1. Coffee (n.) the person upon whom one coughs.
2. Flabbergasted (adj.) appalled over how much weight you have gained.
3. Abdicate (v.) to give up all hope of ever having a flat stomach
4. Esplanade (v.) to attempt an explanation while drunk.
5. Willy-nilly (adj.) impotent.
6. Negligent (adj.) describes a condition in which a woman absent-mindedly answers the door in her nightgown.
7. Lymph (v.) to walk with a lisp.
8. Gargoyle (n.) olive-flavoured mouthwash.
9. Flatulence (n.) emergency vehicle that picks you up after you are run over by a steamroller.
10. Balderdash (n.) a rapidly receding hairline
11. Testicle (n.) a humorous question in an exam.
12. Rectitude (n.) the formal, dignified bearing adopted by proctologists.
13. Pokemon (n) a Rastafarian proctologist.
The ability to quote is a serviceable substitute for wit.
Share your Comments
In this Issue
Esquire's 75 most influential people of the 21st Century and some astounding statistics...
Meet our Sponsor: Analytix Solutions [more]
India has been celebrating Teacher's Day on 5th of September since 1962, the birthday of Dr. Sarvepalli Radhakhrishnan, a philosopher and a teacher par excellence. Apt for back to school students. [more]
|Free College Admissions Workshop|
Get into the college of your dream! IAGB, in association with Princeton Review and Lokvani.com, is sponsoring a Free College Admissions Seminar on October 5th. [more]
|NEMM's Durga Zali Gauri - A Delightful Presentation|
A brilliant musical originally created by Avishkar Chandrashala was recreated by NEMM under the direction of Aditi Taylor. Over 70 participants dazzled the audience with their brilliant performance. [more]
|FORSE 2008: Forum For Social Entrepreneurs|
The Forum for Social Entrepreneurship was a huge success last year and has very interesting speakers this year. [more]
You may also access this article through our web-site http://www.lokvani.com/