What is Ekal Vidyalaya?
Ekal in Hindi means "single" and Vidyalaya means "school.” Ekal Vidyalayas are really single-teacher model schools, dedicated to bring basic education to every child across rural India and benefit the village communities. These schools not only teach the children reading and writing, but also teach the villagers healthcare, impart vocational training, and women empowerment.
Each school serves thirty to forty kids and are taught by one teacher from Ekal. With Ekal Vidyalaya's "dollar-a-day" philosophy--each school can be run with only $365 for an year.
Karthik, an 8th grader is conducting a Math Bee to support Ekal . "I firmly believe that education is something every child should have access to. Children around the globe should have exactly the same opportunities I do. This is why I decided to run a math competition: to remind us of the many opportunities mathematics can give" says Karthik.
This is the second annual Ekal Math Bee. In order to help, all you have to do is participate in a math competition. Test your speed in the Speed Round and your accuracy in the Challenge Round. There is an entry fee of $20, and all of that money will go directly to Ekal Vidyalaya for funding schools. By Ekal's dollar a day philosophy, a small portion of your time can fund a school for 20 days. That's 20 more days of learning!
"I encourage one and all to participate. Use the power of mathematics, that we are lucky enough to have, to help those in need. All you have to do is participate. Take the challenge, prove yourself, or simply try your best, and give someone hope" says Karthik.
Math Bee Format
There are four levels:
- Grades 1-2
- Grades 3-4
- Grades 5-6
- Grades 7-8
The Bee consists of 2 rounds:
- Speed Round:15 problems to be solved in 20 minutes, testing students' ability to solve problems quickly.
- Challenge Round: 10 problems to be solved in 30 minutes, testing students' ability to solve difficult problems correctly.
There will be a tiebraker round between any two contestants who are tied for a position in the top three.
How to Enter:
- Donate $20 per participant to this campaign [use Contribute Now button on top right]
- Register in this form: https://goo.gl/forms/ZnKMMOdGu4LFbQHj2
- When: March 24, 2018 from 2:00 to 5:00 PM
- Location: 200 College Ave, Medford MA
- Parking: Street-side parking around the university
All participants will receive a certificate of participation. The top 3 students in each grade division will be recognized and awarded trophies. Any tiebreaker participants who did not place in the top 3 will also receive an honorable mention.
- See more at: https://www.ekal.org/us/campaign-detail/ekal-math-bee#sthash.T8IjahMw.dpuf