(This article is sponsored by Sounds Of India)
Movie Review: Queen
Star Cast: Kangana Ranaut, Rajkummar Rao, Lisa Haydon
Director: Vikas Bahl
Released: Spring 2014
Note: There are no spoiler alerts in this review.
Yes, even for a die-hard Bollywood fan like myself, I admit I went too long without watching this movie. Even though it released a few months ago, if you STILL have not seen it – please don’t wait another day to watch this comedy-drama hit! Bollywood finally gives us a meaningful and realistic film in which we all can relate to in someway or another. This is a story about how the small-town Punjabi girl, Rani (Kangana Ranaut), travels solo to Europe on her honeymoon after her fiancé calls it quits just a day before their wedding. Throughout this journey of self-discovery, you will meet several entertaining characters who uniquely shape Rani’s experiences abroad. A little less on the masala, but a bit more comedy, Queen is the perfect mix for a heart-warming flick.
1. The “London Thumakda” song is an all-time hit! Spend time actually listening to the Punjabi lyrics for a good laugh!
2. Kangana’s acting is superb – she perfectly captures Rani’s personality
3. No significant song and dance numbers to keep you distracted from the storyline
4. Lisa Heydon, half-Australian, half-Indian actress – one word: hot.
5. The storyline – very simple and to the point!
1. I understand Rani isn’t supposed to have the best fashion sense – but WHY does she have to wear sweaters to night clubs??
2. Borderline “overacting” may have been exhibited by some of the actors…but hey, it’s an Indian movie right?
3. There was definitely some stereotyping of ethnic groups… Taka!
4. Movie length could definitely have been shorter
5. Flashbacks of Rani and Vijay, her fiancé, were odd and unnecessary. Instead, perhaps more character development of Vijay would have been helpful.
* Fun Fact * Queen was made for just under $2 million, it earned the equivalent of $8 million in its first two weeks. It released March 7th, sweeping the much-awaited Madhuri film, “Gulaab Gang” which released the same day. *
On the whole, Queen is a must-watch film that will bring happiness to the soul. Great watch with family, friends, girls-night, date-night.
Sets/Filming Location: 5/5
Eye Candy: 3.5/5
Length of Movie: 2.5/5
Suitable for ages 18+
Overall: **** (4/5) or 8/10
* = flop, don’t even bother
** = time pass, you’ll live if you don’t see it
*** = worth a watch
**** = A hit!
***** = Bollywood Blockbuster
Share your Comments
In this Issue
Geeky Internet jokes -Tech Support: "Do you have any windows open right now?"
Customer: "Are you crazy woman, it's twenty below outside!"
|IITSINE To Host Annual Picnic|
Indian Institutes of Technology Society in New England (IITSINE) will hold its annual picnic on Saturday, August 2nd, 2014, at the Cochituate State Park, Natick, MA. [more]
|2014 MassChallenge Finalist Startup Showcase|
Drinkwell, Jisto, Oncolinx, PegaSense, PhishingGuardian, PikMoments, Saathi, TFC Biosscience and Varada Innovations, were among the 128 highest-impact startup companies featured in the MassChallenge Startup Showcase on July 30th. [more]
|Your Debts Die When You Do... But The Complications Can Live On|
What happens to your debts when you die? Do lenders just take the loss, or can they compel surviving family members to pay the outstanding balances? The answers to these questions vary according to the type of obligation, the participants in the borrowing agreement, and even one’s state of residence. [more]
|Cartoon: Rich Doctor Poor Patient|
It was kind of a rich doctor - poor patient relationship. [more]
You may also access this article through our web-site http://www.lokvani.com/